About Me

Timaru, New Zealand
This photo/travel blog contains the accounts of my life as a photographer, world traveler, outdoor enthusiast, camp counselor, newlywed and star wars nerd. I am an American who grew up in Southeast Asia as an expat kid and have traveled to eighteen countries in my twenty-two years of life so far. I recently married a kiwi and have found myself to be an expat again, this time in the South Island of New Zealand. I dedicate this blog to the wanderlust that lives inside us all. May your lust for foreign soil and adventure thrive until your very last breath.

Blog Archive

Monday 26 September 2011

Lindis, Omarama & Tekapo

A few weeks ago, Josh and I drove down to Queenstown to buy a Subaru (our little Millennium Falcon). We love taking any kind of road trip in New Zealand but the road to Queenstown is one we know and love well. I didn't have a chance to take photos in Queenstown, mostly because we arrived there late at night, did the pub crawl, crashed in the van to save money on a hotel and then made an early start to get our Subaru. Passing by the A.J. Hackett Bungy at the Kawarau Bridge was extremely tempting...why is jumping off a bridge so damn expensive? We just told each other we'd do some bungy in the North Island come Christmas time. 

On our way back home, we stopped in Lindis Pass to have a hike to get the photos below. It was incredible how different it looked with just some light snow as opposed to the completely frozen and massive snow dumps from when we road tripped through there last winter. Standing on a mountain in the heart of the Southern Alps is surreal, feeling like you're on top of the world while knowing you're actually at the bottom. 

After that we hit Omarama and took a dip in the hot tubs that Josh's family's friends own. Sitting in a giant, wooden barrel full of fresh New Zealand spring water heated by a fire while looking out at mountains is definitely a fantastic way to break up a four hour drive. We then stopped through Lake Tekapo around sunset for some fish and chips and a few breath taking photos. Tekapo has a special place in my heart, full of memories from when my family visited there when I was a kid. One of the most beautiful places in New Zealand for sure, although I've yet to witness a place in New Zealand that doesn't take my breath away.  

Lindis Pass
my handsome mountain man


near Omarama


Lake Tekapo

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful pics of a beautiful place Sarah!! Thanks for sharing your adventure and reviving my wanderlust ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're awesome. M is begging me to take him with me haha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maria -Thank you! Glad I can aide in reviving your wanderlust :)

    Cass -That would be awesome if you both came to visit us!

    ReplyDelete